The State of KY is trying to pass a bill where State Department of Agriculture inspectors would be required at EVERY TWH show in KY. They would supercede local HIOs and DQPs, and the horse industry would no longer be policing itself in the State of KY. Click here for the bill, and click here for the article in the Kentucky Herald.
There is talk that this is already receiving overwhelming support in the KY Senate, especially in light of the fact that the World Equestrian Games will be held in KY this year and they have a zero tolerance of abuse. I think it's also in light of the problems the KWHA has caused against the USDA and that their VP Gary Oliver was in court last year after having been sued for putting acid on a horse's leg that ate through the animal's pastern. He directly admitted that his actions were what any normal TWH trainer would have done (i.e., put acid on the horse's legs to get the show gait).
I urge everyone, even if you don't live in KY, to take time to write to the KY State Legislature and let them know your support. There are still going to be those who will fight this, but we must prevail and make sure the support that is already there stays there. It may take a while to send out emails and letters, but it will be worth it when we speak for the horse when it cannot and ask them to support this bill to save the TWH.
Click here for the list of Senate members. Click on the person's name and there is a link to their physical address and email address.
Click here for the list of House members. Again, click on the person's name and there is a link to their physical address and email address.
If you live in KY, click here to find out who is your direct legislator.
Thanks for the support!
"Today, Tennessee Walking Horses are known throughout the industry
as the breed that shows abused and tortured horses."
~ Jim Heird, Ph.D., Do Right By The Horse, February 2010
"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity,
you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."
~ St. Francis of Assisi
- ► 2014 (19)
- ► 2013 (70)
- ► 2012 (73)
- ► 2011 (76)
- ► 2010 (40)
- NEWS and ARTICLES - New Bill for State of KY to He...
- ARTICLE - Repost: Court of Appeals Denies Derickso...
- NEWS and ARTICLE - Repost: HSUS Applauds Court of ...
- NEWS - Kentucky Horse Racing Commission decides to...
- HOW YOU CAN HELP - Writing Letters, Part 2: Format...
- PRESENTATIONS - USDA January 2009 Thermography Sem...
- HOW YOU CAN HELP - Writing Letters, Part 1: Langua...
- PRESENTATION - Emphasis on Inspection Protocol Beg...
- PRESENTATION - Videos From the January 2009 USDA D...
- NEWS - The Sound Horse Conference 2009, March 20-2...
- ▼ February (10)