Here is another list compilation. This is the results of using "sniffer" technology to detect foreign chemicals on a horse's legs. Click here for the original PDFs from the USDA website. The "sniffer" is a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) device. Usually used in detecting chemicals in soil, it analyzes the molecules present in the sample and can determine exactly what base chemcials are included in the sample. Click here for more info.
Since there are six separate files concerning the findings, I compiled all the information in this link for ease of reading. I added the percentages of compliance versus non-compliance to give readers a good idea of what the actual numbers are (remember to be wary of the "98% compliant" claim).
Overall, of the 131 horses tested for foreign substances under the HPA, only approximately 66% of the horses were found in compliance. A far cry from the usually stated 98%!
"Today, Tennessee Walking Horses are known throughout the industry
as the breed that shows abused and tortured horses."
~ Jim Heird, Ph.D., Do Right By The Horse, February 2010
"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity,
you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."
~ St. Francis of Assisi
- ► 2014 (19)
- ► 2013 (70)
- ► 2012 (73)
- ► 2011 (76)
- ► 2010 (40)
- ► 2009 (42)
- ARTICLE and NEWS - From one horse to another: make...
- RESEARCH - Chemicals found in the USDA sniffer tes...
- NEWS - Earl's at it again: Accounting requested fo...
- NEWS - More fuel for the fire: USDA Inspectors Har...
- THOUGHTS - I added another catagory
- NEWS and RESEARCH - USDA Foreign Substances Result...
- NEWS and RESEARCH - Shows Attended by USDA in 2008...
- ARTICLE and NEWS - Chattanooga Times information o...
- THOUGHTS - An admission of guilt?
- NEWS - The results are in! Soring Violations Were...
- NEWS - USDA inspectors dampen walking horse show
- NEWS - Letter to the Editor of Kentucky Herald
- ARTICLE - New editorial concerning soring and Sen....
- ARTICLE - For those of you who want positive info ...
- ARTICLE - The Senate Guru Blog Labor Day Post
- ARTICLE - The Rural Blog post concerning sore hors...
- ARTICLE - Barefoot and Progressive post regarding ...
- ▼ September (17)