Here are some of the things that TWHBEA truly needs in order to turn around and be a positive place for the TWH breed to flourish. Of course, there are other issues, and many of these items will take time to come to fruition. But these are the most important and are some of the keys to ending soring and getting rid of the stacks and chains in the show ring.
- Support of the PAST Act / HR 1518 / S 1406
- Support ending HIOs
- Support of the USDA VMOs at horse shows
- Remove HPA and rule violators from the EC, BOD, and committees (conditions accepted)
- Taking on the industry-wide rulebook
- Working with the USEF/USDF to put the TWH into their favor as a supported breed
Now, of course, we're seeing people spreading the list of the opposition, basically those who want to keep THWBEA status quo. These are truly not people who want the industry to go sound and want to elect Steve Smith, a sore horse supporter who unfortunately has money. To read more about Steve Smith, check out Billy Go Boy's website.
Of course, its up to you as a TWHBEA member to decide who to vote for, and you must do your own research. Here's a link to the HPA Violation list, a link to the current USDA Active Suspension Report, and a link to the USDA Suspension Report since 01-2010. Here's also the list of the PAST Act supporters. Remember that some people have gone sound even though they have violations, but it's still a good idea to question them just in case.
I also came up with a few questions that would be prudent to ask if you get a phone call or an email from a candidate wanting your support. I think if you either get the answer "no" to these questions, or you don't get a straight answer but instead have someone skipping around it, then that person might be someone that isn't truly for the sound horse and making changes within TWHBEA.
- Do you agree that soring is still used as a training method in the TWH industry?
- Do you agree with keeping the Big Lick horse in the ring?
- Do you agree with the PAST Act as written?
- Do you agree with everything in the PAST Act except the phrase "heavy shoes"?
- Do you agree that TWHBEA needs to support the PAST Act as written?
- Do you agree that the breed will die out if the Big Lick horse is removed from the ring?
- Do you agree that TWH shows will end if the Big Lick horse is removed from the ring?
And of course, think up your own questions as you need to.
The number next to the state is the number of positions available for that state. I have only listed the sound horse candidates, not the entire list of candidates. This is basically who to vote for. Feel free to pass this list around!
This list may change as things progress. Some of these are write-ins, some of them are already on the ballot. The membership deadline to receive a voting ballot was September 13. However, if you still want to join, call the TWHBEA office directly and ask if you can do so so you can vote and be sent a ballot. Membership is $60 for an individual and doesn't include the Voice magazine anymore.
VOTING BALLOTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 15. (RECEIVED, not postmarked by.)
AL (1) - Roger Hand
AZ (1) - Pamela Reband
CO (1) - Rick Evans
GA (2) - Jo Ellen Finerfrock
KS (1) - Julie Keller
KY (3) - Linda Starnes
MS (1) - Karla Nichols Massey
MO (1) - Caroline Hoffman
OH (1) - Joyce Moyer
TN (2) - David Pruett & Dee Dee Miller
UT (1) - Gordon Hirschi
WA (1) - Linda Arnold
WI (1) - Mick Salm
Region 1 - Netherlands (1) - Sandra van den Hof
Region 2 - NE, NM, ND, SD, NV (1)
Region 4 (1) - Julie Dixon
Region 5 - AK, BC, HI (1)
Region 6 - Eastern Provinces of Canada (1)
AB (1) - Bill Adams